Monday, August 15, 2011

Conceited... Or Simply Wonderful?

I’ve been looking at blogs lately; actually I have become obsessed with looking at blogs. I don’t know why they are so interesting to me… Maybe because I compare myself to all of the women who seem more talented, more beautiful, more crafty, or more stylish than me. I know that doing this is totally detrimental to my self-esteem, and my overall well-being, but unfortunately it is a trap that I fall into sometimes. I am sure that most women in the blogging world have felt like I do at some point or another. It’s unfortunate, and something that I am determined to overcome.

Recently, I have run across a number of blogs (friends of friends of friends of friends) during my blog-stalking where girls take pictures of themselves in the outfit they are wearing, and write a description of where the clothes were purchased. My first thought was, SERIOUSLY?! Who are these people who think they are “so cool” that everyone would want to see what they wear every day? Like, “Look at me, I am the best dresser in ALL the world!” Needless to say, I was totally annoyed, and thought, “I would NEVER do that. I am certainly not that conceited. Pshh.”


I have to confess that I often look at blogs and think to myself, “Why would someone spend so much time talking about themselves?” And, I think that’s exactly where my problem lies…


Yesterday, I had an epiphany. I smacked myself in the face, and read some great words from this girl.



I was reminded of what my own blog is about, and who I am, and who I want to be. My blog is called, “A Universe in Every Heart”, but I haven’t been living or acting like I really believe that sentiment. So, I got down to business and reminded myself of a few things:


Every person has their own thing--their own thing to create, to share, to make this world into a more beautiful and wonderful place. This girl and this girl and this girl and this girl taught me, simply by their willingness to share themselves with the world, what it means to have confidence in what you love. It’s a wonderful thing.



Blogging can be utterly damaging to a person’s self worth, or can be something that adds meaning and value to our lives. I know that when I stop thinking about myself for two seconds, I am amazed by the extraordinarily talented people in the world. It is unfathomable. What a blessing we have to be able to share our lives, quirks, talents, likes, dislikes and beliefs with others in such a way.


So, here is the challenge. Keep sharing what you love to share! Keep telling the world how amazing you are because you are just that, simply amazing.



4 comments:

  1. this is beautiful!! (and your BLOG looks UHMAZING...i could take a leaf from your book in that department for shizzle.) I appreciate your thoughts about how we each have something to offer in our own way....i like that. And YOU, my lady, have an entire pile of things to offer...I can attest to that :) I miss you...SO MUCH. I hope that (money willing) I can make my way up to Utah in the next couple months. I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog through Katie's blog and I think it's adorable! And I love what you have to say :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To both Katies, you are so nice! Thanks for reading my thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to write that I really like your "A Soapbox of Happiness" on the side of the page. Each and every person is unique and has something to offer to someone else. I love that! With all the people that you can come in contact with, you have the power to influence many "ones." :) I cherish our friendship! Hope all is well with you and Brady!

    ReplyDelete

Loves