Sunday, October 4, 2009

bittersweetness

The time has come, my friends, that I take this time to contemplate the events of the past few months, blogger-style...

I can't believe that another summer has come and gone. I feel like I'm getting old, and fast. Some may argue that 22 isn't "old", but in my eyes, I may as well start writing my last will and testament. Graduation is upon me, and then it's time for the grown-upedness to begin. Forgive me if I don't shout for joy.

In pondering the days of this summer, the word bittersweet fits perfectly. Summer 2009 was indeed the single most difficult summer of my 22 years. Yet, it seems as if it was also the best summer of my life as well. Ironic, right? I stayed up till all hours of the night, had adventures, learned new things, cried, cried, cried, and then laughed more than enough to remedy those tears with the best group of 17 year old kids I've ever known.

The best part: I know that divine hands were involved in the events of this summer. I was never without comfort from friends, family, strangers, or God. Thank you to everyone.

I could take up an entire blog page to share all that I learned this summer from my experiences, but I'd rather share a few fond memories instead. Besides, those memories may be the ones I learned the most from.

1. SOAR. It was the most incredible adventure of my life. It wasn't perfect, and it was hard, but it was so so worth it. Worth every single minute of sleep missed. I loved those kids. They made my life complete.

The Temple Square Trip for SOAR 2009 was my big project, and it was so rewarding. To see their testimonies grow within hours of being on Temple grounds was amazing.

Session 1


Session 2


Session 3


This is Lani. We ate dinner in the Church Office Building every Tuesday night. My partner, Matt, insisted that we order extra cheese pizza. Then, he dared Lani to eat it all. I've never seen so much cheese in my entire life.

If I had time, I would write all about every second of every day. Instead, I'll just highlight some of my favorite parts:

Ropes Course Adventures:


The White Tigers. That's what we called ourselves during session 2.

Hike the Y. We got to hike that crazy mountain 3 times this summer, and each time it got more exciting:


So, I definitely had some favorite boys during SOAR. Matt's boys session 2 were right up there. I love this picture! They dressed in white shirts so they could match...

These boys CARRIED her up the mountain. This was one of my alltime favorite memories.

Service Project, Ah good times!


The boy on the top right. Josh's boy, Stephen. He was another favorite :) And my session 3 girls, The Sunshines!


Bushwacking with Jessica. It was hardcore.

THE VAN.
Dear Van,
Didn't we have some good times this summer?




Yep, you saw it right. I am guilty of wrecking the BYU van. Poor Monique. I hope she is better now.

Culture Share, Viva la Mexico!
Every Thursday night was the Culture Share. We got to watch our little kiddos get up on stage and share their amazing cultures with us! The funnest part was getting to dress up in my authentic Mexican garb:


These are just a few of the Counselors. In this picture, we represent Mexico, Africa, China, Peru, and Hawaii.


These are my girls representing Latin America. Mariah, Mandy and Gracie :) We had so much fun dancing!

Friday Night. After the dreaded ACT Test that morning, we got to play all Friday night. A banquet and a dance! My girls always participated in the Banquet; I have to say that I felt like a proud mom. Leslie and Cassie did the musical number first session, Jessica did it second session, and Samantha was one of the student speakers in the third session. Oh Boy! Here are the Beauties! (Check my last blog entry for session 1)

Session 2

Session 3

The DANCE. These are a few favs, session 3 post dance pics:


Devan and B-Rad. Love them.


This is Kalima. He is like 6'7", and gives the best hugs in the ENTIRE world.

The Counselors! Man, I loved them :) This is a great picture. I think it's my fav because it's on Temple Square!

Left: Mario, Sam, Lakia, Matt, Helen, Ryan, Paulina, Josh, Ali, Jared (J-Sauce). Bottom from left: Grace, Jared (Legs), Mariah, Mandy, and Melissa.

Roommate times:

My roommates were my Saviors this summer. They listened to me cry enough times to last a lifetime. Then, they helped me to laugh when I needed to the most.

Jo, Krissy, and Tyler's 24th. It was a blast!

Awesome dance Party. I was the ONLY hippie there. I think I represented them well.

Not roommates, but lovely friends!

Arizona Goodness:

There is something about going home to the Arizona sunshine that heals the soul. I got to spend 2 whole weeks there this summer, and I loved every minute. I love family... they have this way of loving you when others don't. They are always on your side, and always there to give you words of encouragement when you need them the most.

Day 1 in AZ 117 degree weather included fun times on the swing set in Gini's backyard. There is something about putting a camera in front of a kid... they all showed off their sweet skills, Blue included.


Sara, having 7 brothers teaches you how to be a good climber, I suppose.


Tater, always a monkey.


Brig, the leader of the pack.


And, didn't I tell you Blue joined in? This was the funnest thing in the world for him.

Tate's Baptism and 8th birthday.
Grandma: Tater, what do you want for your birthday this year?
Tate: A tuxedo.
Grandma: A tuxedo, eh?
Tate: Yep.
The result, a 10 dollar suit coat from Goodwill that fit like a dream.

Behold, the proud wearer on his Baptism Day:


Mariah: Tate, what do you want for your birthday?
Tate: Well, what I really want is a laptop.
Mariah: Oh, okay. Anything else?
Tate: I'll take some leggos.

Needless to say, I went for the leggos.


Hayden and Blue. Can you guess who the hat belongs to?


And, Kenzie. She is delightful, and probably the smartest 2 year old I've ever known.


The whole Family minus a few. Lovely bunch, eh?

That was it. My Summer 2009. I should write a book. Love, hate, break-ups, misery, tears, bitterness, fun, joy, bliss, family, excitement, strength, lessons, and hope are all words that sum up that hellish yet blissful summer that is now behind me. Thank you to all who took part in my summer, good and bad. Each day shaped the rest of my life.

Winter. BRING IT ON.

4 comments:

  1. Mariah,
    Wow! You did a lot this summer. You experienced a lot of things, good and bad, and learned and grew from them. That’s awesome. It’s always great when you experience things and you can learn from them even if they are hard to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mariah, you are incredible. Those SOAR kids were so lucky to have you this summer, as is anyone who gets to be around you. You have a warm, loving, accepting personality and a receptive spirit. You are beautiful. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Giirrrrrl you SHOULD write a book! What a beautiful blog from a beautiful lady! Those pictures of Soar made me think of EFY and feel all teary eyed. How lucky we are to be involved in such incredible things! I mean, think of all the ADVENTURES we have each had just between 18 and 22. It all began with skydiving, I think...it's sheer craziness when I try and think of all the good memories packed into the last 4 years. And then i always cry, but that's normal :) I should stop commenting now before it gets out of control. Just know that i love you pieces, and someday we will live in the same place again! And i bet we're gonna each have some more amazing stuff happen to us in the next 4 years....just think of all we can accomplish and learn by the time we're 26 :) LOOK OUT WORLD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also the use of that Glee song was just perfect. I listen to it whenever i want to be brave and a little reckless.

    ReplyDelete

Loves