Happy Snowman, even in the snow.
This is officially my fourth winter in the dismal land of Provo, Utah. Coming from Arizona where the sun always shines, you can imagine how dreary winter days are for me. Over the past two weeks I have compiled a list of antidotes to those winter blues. If these don't at least relieve you of some winter funks, I surely hope that the sun and the warmth finds its way to you soon.
1. People Watch. This is probably the funnest thing to do any day of the year, but on a cold winter's day, people watching brings extra happy feelings. Here's a story that just happened while I was doing some people watching the other day: I was sitting in the Cougareat (the cafeteria/ eating place on BYU campus) avoiding my dreaded Environmental Science reading when I spotted a boy from behind making peculiar, but very recognizable arm motions. His arm shamelessly went up his shirt and landed in his armpit. Then he made three strokes with the stick of deodarant. He proceeded on to the other pit, and put the lid back on the stick in plain sight of all innocently eating their breakfast... I honestly couldn't believe it, but you can believe that I was thoroughly happy that I chose to people watch on that freezing cold day.
2. Eavesdrop. This is closely related to people watching, and most often even more entertaining. It might not be the best practice, but coming in on the middle of someone else's conversation will most always distract from those cold toes. Let me tell you a little about a conversation the other day (names were changed to protect the true identity of the persons) :
Two girls stood in line in front of me as I waited for my lunch. One girl looked into the eyes of her friend, very intensely.
Maggie: What's wrong? Why aren't you freaking out?! Is it because I told you not to, well you're allowed to now.
Jane: I... I don't know what to say accept... that's weird.
Maggie: Let me just start off by saying that we've only been exclusive for one week. He always jokes around and says, 'Maggie, I have to tell you something' in a serious tone and then he'll usually tell me a joke or something. So, I thought he was joking when he asked if I would marry him (My thoughts: !!!!!). I said no, all playful like, but he seemed totally bummed.
Then, I was like, 'you weren't joking were you?'
and he was like, 'no, I know I want to marry you, and I will marry you. I'm sorry if this freaks you out, but I love you.'
Jane: Well, did it freak you out?
Maggie: Yeah, well, I don't know. Things would be a lot different I think if I didn't have a missionary...
You can guess that I was trying really hard not to laugh at this point. Feeling blue after hearing something as entertaining as that? Impossible. Toes? Warm and toasty.
3. Kick icicles off cars. Sounds weird, but don't knock it till you try it. It's instantly gratifying as the long stick of ice falls to the pavement and shatters in a million pieces right in front of your eyes. Plus, it prevents possible rust on the car. Basically, this activity is a win- win situation, and keeps you happy on the long trek home, or through the Wal-mart parking lot on even the coldest of cold days.
Ahh... my dream.
4. Have a Soda/ dance party with your roommates. I experienced my first ever soda party this winter, and there really aren't words to describe how much fun it was. To have a night like this of your own all you need are some bottles of your fav soda, some great music, delirious roommates, and a couple of crazy hats. Look at this picture and tell me that it doesn't make your heart smile with sunny warmth:
5. Soak up the rays of sun. On the rare occasion that the sun comes out of its hiding place, make sure you make the most of it! Wear spring colors, or a flower in your hair, and sunglasses are a MUST. Take a walk and let the rays seep into your soul as you say "Sayonara!" to those winter blues.
*Special Recognitions: Thanks to Jo for helping me spell 'sayonara' correctly for this special edition to my blog. You are one of the coolest Japanese speakers I know.




Bummer that our AZ Cardinals lost. Your blog is so funny and creative. How are your classes?
ReplyDeletei definitely needed THIS is my life today :)
ReplyDeletethat eavesdropping conversation has probably been duplicated in the CougarEat alone somewhere close to a zillion times....
and i was duly impressed that you spelled sayonara correctly. i would never have figured it out. sy-o-narra? syOHnarga? hmph. luff you.
your posts are the coolest!! I'm so glad my car doesn't look like that one... phew. Only one more winter here in provo after this one, we can do it!!!
ReplyDeleteHey I finally found your blog :D x's a trillion!!!
ReplyDeleteYour turns were amazing today at practice!
Angelica
MARIAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteahhh i found your blog and i am so freakin happy :)
umm how the heck are you girl??!?!?!
i miss our good ol' math days with ms. sample hahhaha
Mariah, I miss your face. Hope all is well with life!
ReplyDeleteHappy Easter to you too my dear! I think of you every time I listen to the CD you made for us. You have been such a sweet friend. I miss ya
ReplyDeleteMariah!!!! So glad I found your blog on Rachel's and found Rachel's on Tresann's! It's amazing to see all the good my former YW are up to!!! Email me when you have a minute jlstogdill@yahoo.com and I'll send you an invite to our family blog. XOXO Lois Stogdill & family
ReplyDelete