During these brand new weeks of 2009 here at BYU, I have found myself asking, "is that kosher at BYU?" on more than one occasion. (let me just say that for the following situations, the word "kosher" was often substituted for fair, weird, wrong, dumb, or out of the ordinary) As you may know, the life of academia and extracurricular activities here at BYU in Provo, Utah is something different than other colleges. Thus, my reasoning for asking the question. Here are just a few events I have witnessed that caused me to ponder:
1. Having a crush on your T.A. In my 4+ years in BYU land, at least once a semester one of my friends tells me about how dreamy their T.A. is whether it be for Physical Science, American Heritage or Math 119. Now, the tables are turned, and I have a crush on my T.A. I still don't know if I'm even allowed to be attracted to him, but a girl can dream.
2. A 50 year old mom moving into BYU approved housing. This is true, folks. I just had lunch with a friend today, and her new roommate is none other than a 50 year old Korean mom. I'm pretty sure that isn't allowed.
3. Having your car get broken in to in Provo. Everyone thinks that Provo somehow makes you invincible to crime because it's a Mormon town. Well, think again. Take your stereos, iPods, digital cameras, CD's, and that prized stamp collection out of your car at night. Stop kidding yourself; you are not immune to Provo thievery.
4. A bed in the bathroom. Do BYU students walk around with "I'm tired" written all over their forehead? I guess so. Or, at least eyes that read, "get me to the bathroom quick, before i fall asleep at my desk!" Heaven forbid. If you don't believe me, take a look at the upstairs bathroom in the ROTC building at BYU, there is a bed. A twin-sized bed with pillow and blanket.
5. Getting engaged after 2 weeks. This happened just a few days ago to a girl in my BYU Singles Ward. And it happens all the time. I think that it's a given to ask yourself, "is that kosher?" when the first reaction to your engagement is, "Wait, were they even dating?"
7. Watching cartoons on a holiday for 2 and a half hours in your pajamas just because you want to. Is this kosher? Answer: a resounding yes.

8. Wearing short sleeves, flip flops, or shorts in 10 degree weather. Everyday I walk to school and without fail there is a boy shivering his pants off because he thought it would be "cool" wear a t-shirt in 20 degree weather. Well, here is a word of advice boys: it's not cool, it's dumb.
9. Loving life even when you're single. Sometimes this is hard with the "you have to be married to be happy" culture of BYU, and may seem un-kosher to love singleness. Well, I'm going to stick it to the man and say this: Love life! Love being single! And live it up! Make sure to check out the new song on my playlist: Single, by Natasha Bedingfield. It rocks.


1) I'm pretty sure nobody can outlaw having a crush on your TA, but they CAN and HAVE outlawed you and your TA dating. Wait until the end of the semester so your TA doesn't get into trouble.
ReplyDelete2) It is perfectly acceptable for someone older to move into BYU housing. It's just not all that common. My freshman year when I lived in the dorms, we had a 30 year old Japanese married woman on our floor - things hadn't worked out with her husband's visa, so she was going to school on her own.
3) Happens all the time.
4) LOL.
5) Someone you and I both know recently got married to a guy she'd known for 3 months. Now she's wishing she'd waited longer.
6) You skipped six.
7) I love cartoons.
8) Agreed!
9) Good for you!
-Lindsey
Wow, I LOVE that post. I respect so much what a strong and proud woman you are! The 50 year old Korean woman living in the dorms is a very strange thing, though. I wonder if BYU knows about it...
ReplyDeleteha ha ninja turtles, that's awesome :) love you!!!
ReplyDeleteI can't tell you how many times the first thought that came to my mind when I hear about a new engagement has been, "were they even dating?" Seriously, even down here. How about 2 weeks dating (if you call that dating) and 6 week engagement. Start to finish...bam!...2 Months! Whatever floats their boat! I miss you girl!
ReplyDelete