It's a strange feeling to write about myself for all to see, but for wanting eyes this has to be done. So, here I go, embracing this blog for all it's worth. I don't know whether to make it an online journal, or some sort of advertisement for myself. I feel like the first would be pretty weird, and should probably be avoided. The latter sounds like it could come off as a bit arrogant, but is really what a "blog" is all about. Here, I will attempt to make this blog a combination of the both; please let me know if I am leaning to one side...
The title of this blog, A Universe in Every Heart, was inspired by a dear professor of mine: Dr. Jini Roby. In taking a class called Global Issues of Children at Risk at the wonderful world of Brigham Young University, Dr. Roby helped a class of 25 to realize the potential of every person in the world. She left us with some parting words that I will carry with me forever: There is a universe inside every person. In this context, I decided to make this saying my own.
I believe that these are words to live by. The world would indeed be a better place if this small phrase were better understood. Every person, yes, every man, woman and child, no matter where there are, where they have been, what they have done, what their race, color, or creed; in every person there is a universe. Everyone has a story, a mother, a father, a life history, a personality, likes, dislikes, pet peeves, and quirks of thier own. Along with that, everyone has a future, a potential that is great. Every person deserves love, care, and understanding.
So, there is my soapbox. I think Dr. Roby has helped us rephrase the secret that will lead us to happiness on this earth: selfless service. Service in the form of empathizing with those around us, small tokens of kindness, and forgetting ourselves to go to work in the service of others. Service in remembering that each in each heart there is a universe, not just our own. I'm not at all saying that I am perfect in this area, but I know that the days when I hold this sentiment near, I am completely happy. So, try it yourself. I promise it works!

I'm glad you've graced the blogging world with your rays of sunshine and optimism. The world needs more Mariah's. I have no doubt that your heart will make this universe a much better place to be, if even just for one other. I'm anxious to hear about your life! One suggestion from one blogger to another, don't forget the pictures!
ReplyDelete